Monday, May 19, 2008

A mummy moment or were there just too many "mummies"

Brenda has a Keeping it Real meme. A good friend invited me to join!
So here is a "mummy moment" that happened shortly after the birth of our sixth child!!! Yes you heard right, even being an experienced mum can let you down at times! On this particular occasion two friends decided to pay a "see the baby" call sometime around mid-day when baby was a week or so old! My good friend was also there, I'm wondering if she remembers it! Anyway all four mums are baby focused in the living room while in the background is the delightful "hum" of a homeschooled family tidying up after book-work, folding washing and preparing the evening meal. At some point second son appears with a recipie book in hand and mumbles something about the quantities needed to make apple pudding. I smile and nod and he wanders off. Can it all really be this simple. Later while we mums drink our hot drinks close by seeps a rather strange odor...is something burning...YES IT IS!! "Mum look what's happening to the apple pudding, its bubbling over and over" screams oldest daughter.(Did I mention this oven was relatively new!). I call in second son and asertain that yes he did follow the recipie exactly as I told him. I look at the book, something about the way the sugar quantity(3/4 cups sugar) is written warns me."um "dearest"how mch sugar did you um add?""well mum I asked you whether it was 3 or 4 cups and as you just said yes I thought it was best to be sure so I added all 4.".
Postscript: the "sugar mixture" was a combination of black sticky tar and concrete and took forever to hack off. One of those homeschool science experiments that you probably don't want to replicate!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure I was there?

Brenda said...

OH, I have added too much sugar to something (a story for another day) and I can concur that it becomes one with any surface it touches. Had to throw the whole pan away.

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Toni said...

Sounds like a great experiment! I love that he went ahead with the 4 cups when not sure...

JulieMom said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

I, too, know the horror that is stuck-on sugar food. It's awful to try and get off. Did it ruin the surface of your new oven??

Aliadelaide said...

Well lets just say it has never been the same since!

jugglingpaynes said...

Hehehehe! I've leaned not to say yes to anyone who mumbles!

How do you remove blackened suger from an oven?

Peace and Laughter!