Monday, August 09, 2010

Winter gardening


Making the most of a good amount of chicken manure from our silky bantams, a break between the showers and an afternoon at home I decided to launch an attack on the front garden!

I re-located plants from the back garden and planted things closer than the recommended spacing in anticipation of only some surviving our hot summer.
I figure we still have several months(wishful thinking?) for them to become established.


I am thankful for the few plants that have survived from last summer...and of course the nasturtiums that will come up anywhere regardless.
I find gardening a very meditative experience
a time of recollection and in this I know I am not alone:
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
- John Muir


I also enjoy the hidden secrets that a garden discloses; the little things which would be overlooked unless one paid careful attention.







































Gardening is a long road, with many detours and way stations, and here we all are at one point or another. It's not a question of superior or inferior taste, merely a question of which detour we are on at the moment. Getting there (as they say) is not important; the wandering about in the wilderness or in the olive groves or in the bayous is the whole point.
- Henry Mitchell, Gardening Is a Long Road, 1998




No comments: