Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Little Britches


Here is another Little Britches quote:

This quote comes after the headmaster of the school had punished Ralph with a cattails bullwhip.

“You know son, sometimes a fellow has to take a licking for doing the right thing. A licking only lasts a short while, even if it’s a hard one, but failing to do the right thing will often make a mark on a man that will last forever.”

You can see why I find the reading of this book so providential as our family read aloud during Lent.







And here is a quote from Hamlet and “little Britches”

“Father looked up and smiled. “Yes Mame, that means…” he said “that he made me the boss carpenter, I’m getting four dollars a day, and I know I can make a job of it.” He took a couple more mouthfuls and then he looked up again. “How does that line near the end of Hamlet go? The one there being a divinity.”
Mother knew them all I guess. She got tears in her eyes and in her voice too. “there’s a divinity that shapes our ends, rough hew them how we will,” she repeated.




No comments: